WE WILL KEEP YOUR RECORDS SAFE
This dental practice complies with the Data Protection Act 2018 and General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). This means that we will ensure that your information is processed fairly and lawfully.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE NEED TO HOLD?
- Past & current medical & dental history, personal information such as address, phone numbers, age & name of your GP.
- Details of your exemption status if applicable.
- X-rays, clinical photographs & study models.
- Treatment plans & correspondence regarding treatment we have provided or proposed plus its costs.
- Notes of conversations or incidents that might occur for which a record needs to be kept.
- Consent of treatment.
- Any correspondence relating to you with other health care professionals ie: hospitals or community services.
WHY DO WE HOLD THIS INFORMATION?
We keep accurate personal data in order to provide you with safe & appropriate dental care.
We will retain your dental records, study models & X-rays while you are a patient of this practice & for eleven years or until the age of 25yrs (whichever is longer) once you cease to be a patient.
We hold your information in our computer system or in a secure manual filing system. Information is only accessible to authorised personnel. Information will not be removed from the practice without the patients consent. Personal information is carefully protected & all access is held securely and passwords are changed regularly. Data is encrypted & computers are closed if unattended.
TIMES WE MAY NEED TO DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
In order to provide proper & safe dental care to:
- ** Your GP
- **Hospital or Community dental service
- ** Other health professionals caring for you
- ** Inland Revenue
- ** Private dental schemes of which you’re a member
- ** Benefits Agency (where you are claiming exemption or remission from NHS charges)
We will only release information on a need-to-know basis & only to those individuals/organisations who need to know, in order to provide care for you & for the proper administration of government. Only information that the recipient needs to know will be disclosed.
In very limited circumstances or when required by law or a court order, personal data may have to be disclosed to a third party not connected with your health care. In all other situations disclosure is not covered by this disclosure & will only occur with your consent. Where possible you will be informed of any requests for disclosure.
Individuals have certain rights over their personal data and data controllers are responsible for fulfilling these rights as follows:
- Individuals may request access to their personal data held by us as a data controller.
- Individuals may request us to rectify personal data submitted to us or, where appropriate, contact us via the relevant website registration page or by amending the personal details held on relevant applications with which they registered.
- Individuals may request that we erase their personal data
- Where we process personal data based on consent, individuals may withdraw their consent at any time by contacting us or clicking on the unsubscribe link in an email received from us.
- Individuals may have other rights to restrict or object to our processing of personal data and the right to data portability.
- Individuals may request information about, or human intervention into, any automated data processing that we may undertake.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please send an email to email@example.com
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE
If you do not wish us to use your information, you should discuss the matter with your dentist or the practice manager. If you object to the way we collect & use the information, we may not be able to continue to provide your dental care.
If you have any concerns about how we use the information & your do not feel able to discuss it with your dentist or the practice manager, you should contact The Information Commissioners Office (ICO), Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF Tel: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745.
Date: 15th March 2019
Review date: 15th March 2020